Union Station Depot & Train Viewing Platform
Listen to CSX Railroad Traffic in the Greater Plant City area
Located at downtown at 102 North Palmer Street MAP
GPS Coordinates: Lat: 28 00' 56.50" N Long: 82 o 07' 20.20" W o
Home of the Robert W. Willaford Railroad Museum
Museum telephone: 813-719-6989
Follow the museum on Facebook
Plant City Union Station Depot is a historic facility in downtown Plant City. It is located at Drane Street and Palmer Street and was built in 1908-1909 by both the Atlantic Coast Line (east-west line) and Seaboard Air Line Railroads (north-south line). The bulding includes a one story brick passenger depot and two story Railway Express Agency brick freight terminal/loading dock. Even after the merger of the two railroads into the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad in 1967, Plant City Union Depot continued to operate until 1971. As an important element in the early development of the city, which depended so heavily on railroad transportation, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on April 14, 1975. The architectural design is credited to J.F. Leitner.
Sources: Wikipedia 2013, FL Dept of State Division of Historic Resources 2013
Immediately to the south of the Depot, the Train Viewing Platform and Tower was
constructed in 2013 and opened for use December 14, 2013.
Below is a YouTube video: "1st Time Railfanning New Plant City Platform"
(Courtesy: Danny Harmon - December 2013)
Below is a YouTube video of the Train Viewing Platform and Tower opening ceremony held on
December 14, 2013 hosting
the major sponsors and those people making the facility a reality.
(Courtesy: Coastertrains Production - Alan John Smith - December 2013)
Two recognition plaques shown below are mounted at the Train Viewing Platform and Tower to
those who assisted either financially or with in-kind services to make it happen.