The Ellis-Methvin Park property was originally owned by the Ashley Arthur (A.A.) Ellis family since circa 1880. His grandson, Dr. Roy Ellis and wife Bonnie Methvin Ellis sold the 46+ acre parcel to the City in 2002 and also donated a generous sum toward the park development. The park is named in honor of Dr. Ellis and his wife. With approximately half of the City recreation program participants living outside the City limits, the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners agreed to fund nearly 50% of the land acquisition cost. In the years since, matching grant funding was acquired from the Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program (FRDAP - $535,611), the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF - $200,000) and additional grant funding from Hillsborough County ($600,000). A $40,000 contribution from the Plant City Optimist Club helps offset much of the cost of the centrally locateed playground. These grant funds helped leverage the City's contributions by doubling the amount of funds available for park development.
1 - Sources: Focus Magazine, Plant City Photo Archives & History Center, Plant City: It's Origins and History by Quintilla Geer Bruton and D.E. Bailey
- Located northeast of downtown at 2401-2601 East Cherry Street. MAP
GPS Coordinates: Lat: 28o 01' 33.20" N Long: 82o 05' 55.40" W
- Adjacent to the south side of the Otis M. Andrews Sports Complex.
- Now open at the south end of the park is the Plant City Tennis Center, with four lighted HydroGrid clay courts and four lighted hard surface courts available for play.
- Current amenities available:
- Plant City Tennis Center
- Four unlighted 200' youth baseball/softball fields
- Two unlighted full size soccer fields
- Three picnic shelters
- .42 mile walking trail around the pond
- .47 mile perimeter walking trail from south parking lot eastward to Wilder Road, then north to Cherry Street, then west to the driveway on Cherry Street.
- Additional construction will develop six more full size soccer fields and additional perimeter walking trail length at this location in the future.
- Visiting us for a tournament? Please stay at our local hotels! Click here for details!
- For information on field rentals, please contact the Athletic Program Manager's office weekdays from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm at (813) 659-4255. Office is closed weekends and holidays.