Mike E. Sansone Community Park
The park is named for Mike E. Sansone, a local barber, patriot and friend of scouting. Sansone, an Italian immigrant, settled in Plant City just before World War I, opening a barber shop. He left to serve in World War I and returned to help form the Plant City American Legion Post 26 in 1919. The Post was later named for Norman E. McLeod who was Plant City's first casualty of World War I and with whom Sansone served. Sansone also was a Master Sergeant training recruits for World War II. He became deeply involved with Scouting and devoted his life to youth. He was named the Plant City Jr. Chamber of Commerce's first Distinguished Citizen of the Year in the 1950s. Sansone was active in local volunteerism up to his death in 1963 at age 75.
1 - Sources: Focus Magazine, Plant City Photo Archives & History Center, Plant City: It's Origins and History by Quintilla Geer Bruton and D.E. Bailey
This 77 acre park is located northeast of downtown at 1702 North Park Road. MAP
GPS Coordinates: Lat: 28o
01' 49.25" N Long: 82o
06' 17.00" W
Park facilities on either side of Sansone Boulevard include:
- Four lighted youth league size baseball fields:
- #1 - Moore Field - Left 200', Center 200', Right 200'
- #2 - Bianchi Field - Left 200', Center 200', Right 200'
- #3 - Hickey Field - Left 198', Center 200', Right 200'
- #4 - Walden Field - Left 180', Center 180', Right 180'
- Two lighted youth league size softball fields:
- #5 - Left 200', Center 200', Right 200'
- #6 - Left 200', Center 200', Right 200'
- Three lighted senior league size baseball fields:
- #7 - Rush Field - Left 300', Center 300', Right 300'
- #8 - Rupp field - Left 335', Center 385', Right 335'
- #9 - Ranger Field - Left 314', Center 385', Right 314'
- Three concession stands
- Score booths
- Four picnic pavilions:
- SAN-1 - near west (Park Road) entrance - 3 tables, seats 24
- SAN-2 - near west playground - 5 tables, seats 40
- SAN-3 - near volleyball courts - 2 tables, seats 16
- SAN-4 - near east playground - 5 tables, seats 40
- Three restrooms
- Two playgrounds
- Six lighted basketball courts
- Three lighted sand volleyball courts
- Modular 8,500 square foot skate park
- Paved .38 mile walking/nature trail through a wetland area
Visiting us for a tournament? Please stay at our local hotels! Click here for details!
To schedule ball fields, please contact the Recreation & Parks Department Athletic Manager's office at (813) 659-4255.