Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
1904 S Park RoadPlant City, FL 33563-8113
The Parks Division of the Recreation & Parks Department maintains over 809 acres of City property (636 acres of active and passive park land, 121 acres of non-park City property and 52 acres of cemetery land). They are responsible for a routine maintenance program to preserve, protect and enhance program areas within the parks and have facilities available for community use and prepped for recreational programming and tournaments. They are also responsible for grounds maintenance for most non-park City properties, tree trimming services on all City properties and rights-of-way as well as management of the City's five cemeteries. All 42 employees are also involved with any storm-related recovery, including street clearing and debris removal.
All crews except Tree Trimming share similar duties such as, mow, edge, weedeat, litter control, shrubbery and low tree trimming, application of various chemicals, park restroom servicing, safety inspections of park buildings and amenities, and minor park building and property repairs, along with their specific tasks as listed below.
- Maintains over 40 parcels which include neighborhood parks, pavilions, playgrounds, walking trails, the Midtown District, downtown parking lots and other City-owned non-park properties and greenspaces. They also prepare for special event areas in downtown for scheduled events.
MLK Rec Center/Marie B. Ellis Park/Snowden Park (MMS) Crew
- Maintains over 40 parcels which include neighborhood parks, basketball courts, pavilions, playgrounds, walking trails, baseball fields and multi-use fields at MLK Rec Center and Snowden Park, affordable housing vacant lots and other City-owned non-park properties and greenspaces. They also prepare ball fields and special event areas at MLK Rec Center for scheduled events.
Mike Sansone Park/Otis M. Andrews Sports Complex/Ellis-Methvin Park (Sansone/OMA/E-M) Crew
- Maintains over 165 acres which include baseball/softball fields, basketball courts, sand volleyball courts, modular skate park, pavilions, playgrounds, nature trail, football/soccer/lacrosse fields, hard/clay tennis courts and walking trails. They also prepare ball fields and special event areas for scheduled events.
Tree Trimming Crew
- Preforms tree trimming on City-owned property, including City street right-of-way. Responsibilities are to trim or remove damaged, diseased or dying trees, raise the tree canopy over City-maintained roadways and around street signage/lighting, large area (bush hog) mowing, fencing repairs and installation, welding/gate repairs, assist other departments with high-reach work needing a tall bucket truck. This crew is also considered "first responder" for fallen trees in roadways.
- Responsible for 52 acres of cemetery property with over 26,000 spaces. Manage the City's services for burial activities, schedule interments, maintain records of lot sales and interments, handle lot sales and interment open/close requests, coordinate space locates for families and monument installations. They also oversee outsourced grounds maintenance for the Park Road medians and Public Works facility.
The eight employees of the Recreation & Parks Department’s Recreation Division oversees the recreation center programs for three buildings, athletics programs at all City parks and produces community-wide special events.
- Responsible for all recreation center offerings, including special interest class development, instructor recruitment, scheduling and promotion. Classes include adult fitness, youth/adult self-defense, dance, art and senior programming. Youth out-of-school time offerings such as after school and summer programs are also coordinated. In addition, all production aspects for special events, including securing sponsorships, vendors, volunteers, entertainment and more, for department run large special events (July 4th Celebration, City-Wide Easter Egg Hunt, Bi-Annual Youth Fishing Derbies, Daddy-Daughter Date Night, Mom-Son Bowling event and Christmas in the Park). Staff also assists with other non-City coordinated special events (Chamber of Commerce, Main Street, Willaford Railroad Museum, other local non-profits). Oversee any community special events on their properties (Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Festival, Black Heritage Festival).
- Responsible for all production and coordination aspects, including calendar, game scheduling, Parks Division field prep, youth sports uniforms and equipment, youth sports coach recruitment, part time officials recruitment/training/scheduling, and publicity for department-run athletic programming (youth flag football, youth basketball, youth soccer, youth sport skills contests, adult softball and adult Halloween softball tournament). Coordinates field use, calendar and Parks Division field prep for local non-profit youth sports organizations (baseball/softball, tackle football/cheer, competitive soccer). Coordinates field use, Parks Division field prep and act as a liaison for non-City run tournaments and other field rentals held over 40 weekends a year for youth travel baseball, youth travel softball, youth travel soccer, youth tackle football, youth lacrosse, youth/adult flag football and adult baseball/softball. Also, total oversight of the Plant City Tennis Center, from scheduling 10 courts, programming league play and developing programs and tournaments.